Phrasal verb list with examples. 1/5

Phrasal_verb MeaningExample
Add up to EqualI purchased add up to $100.
Answer back Answer in bad wayShe answered her mother back.
Back upReverseYou'll have to back up your car so that I can get out.
Back upSupportMy wife backed me up over my decision to quit my job.
Blow upExplodeThe racing car blew up after it crashed into the fence.
Break downStop functioning (vehicle, machine)Our car broke down in the middle of the town
Break downGet upsetThe girl broke down when she new her dog had died.
Break down Divide into smaller partsOur teacher broke the final project down into three separate parts.
Break intoEnter forciblyThe firemen had to break into the room to rescue the old woman.
Break upEnd a relationshipMy girlfriend and I broke up before I moved to Europe.
Break upStart laughing (informal)The kids just broke up as soon as the clown started talking.
Break out EscapeThe prisoner broke out of jail when the guard was sleeping.
Bring upRaise a childMy grandparents brought me up after my parents died.
Call backReturn a phone callI called the company back but the offices had just closed.
Call offCancelJason called the wedding off because he wasn't in love with his fiancé.
Call onAsk for an answer or opinionThe professor called on me for question 1.
Call onVisit someoneWe called on you last night but you weren't home.
Call upPhoneGive me your phone number and I will call you up when we are in town.
(not) care for Not like (formal)I don't care for his behaviour.
Catch upGet to the same point as someone elseYou'll have to run faster than that if you want to catch up with Marty.
Check inArrive and register at a hotel or airportWe will get the hotel keys when we check in.
Cheer upBecome happierShe cheered up when she heard the good news.
Chip inHelpIf everyone chips in we can get the kitchen painted by noon.
Clean upTidy, cleanPlease clean up your bedroom before you go outside.
Come apartSeparateThe top and bottom come apart if you pull hard enough.
Come down withBecome sickMy cousin came down with influenza this weekend.
Come forwardVolunteer for a task or to give evidenceThe woman came forward with her husband's finger prints.
Come fromOriginate inThe art of origami comes from Asia.
Count onRely on I am counting on you to make dinner while I am out.
Cross outDraw a line throughPlease cross out your old address and write your new one.
Cut backConsume lessMy doctor wants me to cut back on sweets and fatty foods.
Cut downMake something fall to the groundWe had to cut the old tree in our yard down after the storm.

3 comments:

  1. Great technotrusts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The regard formerly paid to pronunciation has been gradually declining; so that now the greatest improprieties in that point are to be found among people of fashion; many pronunciations How to pronounce London place-names

    ReplyDelete